Friday, June 29, 2007

The body as a gauge……

The human body is one of the most remarkable feats of nature. When something gets in your eye, it tears up and the tears wash out the offending intruder. When something irritates your nose, you sneeze to expel the foreign body. Same with coughing.

Pain in the body signals overexertion, or that something may be wrong. Sometimes, your body even knows things your mind is unwilling to recognize. A few years ago, I was in a relationship that just was just not healthy for me. Unsurprisingly, I kept getting sick. Looking back, I really do believe that my body was physically rejecting him…but I didn’t listen.

Whenever I am stressed, or am emotionally taxed, my body always reacts in precisely the same way. When I am stressed or worried, my stomach immediately gets upset. And when I am emotionally spent, my body and mind both shut down and I almost always need excessive amounts of sleep. There are times when I am worried or stressed or emotionally taxed, and my body is physically reacting to these situations, yet I am too preoccupied with life to even know why or to stop to figure out what it is that is causing these reactions. I have now learned to pause for a moment….to ask “why this now?” Almost inevitably, I find that my body is telling me that I need to pay attention to something in particular.

New Rule: Your body will explicitly tell you things you need to pay attention to. Stop ignoring it!

- SR

No comments: