In the months since my father passed away, I find myself thinking about him more than I ever did in our years together. One of the greatest gifts papa ever gave me was one particular piece of advice, and an example I hope to follow.
No matter what I did, no matter how bad it was….and believe me, there were some truly spectacular incidents during those horrible teenage years…..whenever I confessed to papa, and whenever I reached out to him for help on dealing with the messes that I had created, he always said “It’s over….now forget it, and move on. If you can make amends, do so. If you can’t, then just put it in the past and move on. Don’t look back”.
This single piece of advice has bought me many moments of peace, comfort and relief. It has allowed me to forgive myself for my mistakes, forgive others for their mistakes and resume ‘normal’ life.
New Rule: Leave the past in the past. Don’t let it color the present, or shape the future.
- SR
Saturday, June 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment