Monday, July 30, 2007

The thing about Tough Love.....

…..is that it is diffult for everyone. It is often difficult to give, is frequently unappreciated and sometimes misunderstood. Several weeks ago, EJ gave me some tough love. At that moment, I think she felt bad being ‘harsh’ with me, and I felt a little bitch-slapped by life and ever so slightly by my friend. But the next day, I also realized something. She is my friend. She only wants the best for me, and I trust her without limitation.

She would have been remiss in our friendship had she NOT given me a dose of reality that was much needed. Even though it hurt me a little bit, it was what I needed to acknowledge and what she explicitly needed to say to me b/c I just was not listening.

New Rule: Realize that tough love is difficult for the giver as well as the receiver. But also realize that like medicine that is sometimes bitter to swallow, it is for your own good, and your fabulous friend is your physician.

- SR

No comments: