Tuesday, July 3, 2007

To fear or not to fear…..

I was chatting with a friend the other day and the conversation gravitated to events that would likely take place this coming weekend. Long story short: we were basically trying to predict how things would play out over the weekend, and we kept thinking and worrying about “what if this…?” or “what if that…?” We were basically trying to figure out how things would happen, and how she would/should react to those events.

And suddenly it hit me: we were worrying about things that may not even happen! But it wasn’t just us doing it this particular time. When I really thought about it, I realized that we all do this, all the time….and it is truly a very difficult thing to not do. Yet this is one of the most obvious time and energy sappers I’ve ever come across.

New Rule: Don’t worry about things that have not yet happened….they may never happen!

- SR

No comments: