Thursday, April 19, 2007

Lessons from an Ex....

I was thinking about an ex today. It’s not that I was missing him or anything….getting rid of that fool was the best thing to happen to me. But what I was thinking was this: Mr. X is an intelligent and extremely successful man. But, in spite of his wealth, and his material success, he was unhappy. He once admitted to me that at times he was so depressed that he could not get out of bed, or function. He lived in a great house and had achieved incredible financial success. But he was basically a lonely, miserable and unhappy person.

And I learned a valuable lesson: You never know what’s going on inside people’s heads and their lives. To the outside world he seemed like this super successful guy who had it all…but the reality was that he was an empty person who had no one to share his success and his hope and fears with. What he portrayed and who he really was were two very different things.

There is a saying in a foreign language: The teeth that an elephant shows to the world aren’t those that he eats with.

New Rule: People aren’t always what they seem to be, and you can’t judge your insides with other people’s outsides.

- SR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I second that! Money really doesn't and can't and won't buy happiness. The sooner we as a society can recognize and BELIEVE that, the better off we will be as human beings.